So, between 12/27 and 1/3 I dyed sixteen veils. Sixteen veils in a week! Ai ai ai. Nine of them were in the same dye mixture, which made it possible to dye them concurrently -- not all in one bath, because they were low water immersion, but they could all be rinsed and washed together safely. I did four one day and five the next.
A few new things came into my process this time around. First of all, I switched from vinegar to citric acid solution for my presoak. I definitely noted brighter colors on the 8mm silk with the slightly more acidic citric acid. (And SO much less smelly.) I ordered several pounds more from Dharma right away.
Secondly, I gave up doing so much hand rinsing. On the theory that it used less water, I would spend a lot of time doing initial rinsing in the sink. Well... I don't know that it was actually using less water. It would take a long, long time and many buckets full. And I realized that I would just get a better rinse letting the fabric soak in a bigger volume of water, especially given some discussions on dye forums. So now I just do a short initial rinse in the sink and go straight to a washing machine load with Synthropol -- and I got great results.
I did almost make a grievous error while dyeing the last two veils. Amber had ordered two black half circles with green ribbon edges. I dyed them up green in a bucket, rinsed and dried, and then prepared to mask them and overdye in black. JUST as I was about to put them in the black vat... I realized I masked them backwards!
I would have produced green veils with black edges! Whew, that was a narrow escape. That'll teach me to watch Doctor Who while masking veils. :-D